We all know Word Of Mouth is the most powerful form of gaining leads. But how do we get more of them?
We can get referrals from a number of sources – not just happy customers.
1. However, your first point of call is Your Clients
– both current and completed.
In addition to obtaining a testimonial, ask them to refer any
of their friends or family that might require the same service.
You can also offer a discount/value for each referral provided –
this could be as simple as a movie ticket.
Keep in contact with clients – there is no point in asking
them for referrals and never contacting them again
– you need to be top of mind!
Thank them for their business, email relevant information,
reward them for their business.
2. Other tradies – you know other tradies who you would be happy
to refer your clients to. Speak to them about a more structured
referral and ASK them for referrals from their clients.
3. Provide referrals – if you are giving referrals to other tradies,
they are more likely to refer you.
4. Facebook is the new ‘Word of Mouth’.
Ask other tradies and customers to ‘like’ your page
and post relevant tips, information and specials.
5. LinkedIn – join, keep your profile updated and add relevant contacts
(and ask them to add you).
6. Trade suppliers – develop relationships with Managers and set up a
structured referral program
7. Real Estate Agents – develop relationships and offer discount over
number of clients referred or develop a new home owners pack
to give to their clients.
8. Attend formal networking events that are structured around businesses
providing referrals for each other – eg Chambers of Commerce, BNI
and take plenty of business cards.
9. Sponsorship (local schools, sporting groups) and ask them to refer you.
10. Have a USP that is easy to remember when people are referring you
(eg Joe Smith is the best local plumber and is the only one to
guarantee he will be on time or there is no call out fee).
Most of all, do the obvious – do a great job, be reliable, turn up on time every time,
do what you say you will do, ASK for the referral and TRACK your results.